Sunday, June 22, 2014

Blog Post 8

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l0nwljpDaX1qan9bb.png


"When you screw up and nobody's saying anything to you anymore, that means they gave up. Your critics are the ones telling you they still love you." 
-Dr. Randy Pausch

Two words to summarize Dr. Randy Pausch's final lecture before his passing (Achieving Your Childhood Dreams): truly inspirational. Before I begin my observation of the video, I was somewhat irritated due to the length; however, within moments, Dr. Pausch captivated me. In light of his recent diagnosis, Dr. Pausch's demeanor was rather lighthearted and provided comic relief. The focal point of this specific lecture was how one can achieve their goals in life and provide assistance for others in that realm. One of the most significant statements he said was "Brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want something." On a personal note, my first undergrad was in Vocal Performance. I aspired to be an opera singer/work in the fine arts, but unfortunately, our country was in a recession. It was not a "smart option" according to various individuals so I worked in the "glamorous" field of finance until I was offered a position as a traveling music teacher through the local symphony's outreach program. Needless to say, I fell in love with my students and am back in school to obtain a Music Education degree in order to teach full time. Life does throw in obstacles, but it's our job to fight around the system, just as Dr. Pausch did in his issue with NASA. 

Dr. Pausch also pointed out that yes, there are times where we will not accomplish our dreams. Those experiences are fundamental to where our lives will eventually be and assist in developing perseverance. The best field to cultivating childhood dreams is teaching. A particular comment made was that an instructor should never set a "bar" when it comes to education. This idea will limit a student's capability and could hinder their growth. Having guidelines is mandatory with teaching, but encouraging students to constantly bettering themselves is essential. Additionally, as an instructor, we must let the next generation explore and critique them (constructively). The most influential individuals in my professional life are both professor who will thoroughly assess and evaluate my work. They will review my art and give feedback that is rather painful to hear; however, these wonderful people will guide me in creating something far superior than what I thought I could produce. Communicating differing interpretations among one another (teachers vs students) is crucial-it is how both parties learn. I strive for that in my future as a teacher. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post Victoria, I believe it is important that you continue to do the things you love in life. As a teacher I think we have a great impact on our students and that if they see we are happy and doing what we love it will inspire them to do the same. Randy's lecture was an eye opener for me. After watching I was quickly motivated to go out and do more with my life. I believe he made a great point when he mention that teachers should never set a bar for students, It will only stop creativity and critical thinking.

    ReplyDelete