Monday, June 9, 2014

Blog Post 5

PLNs: What Are They?

Personal learning network is defined as an informal learning network that consists of the people a learner communicates with and derives knowledge from in a personal learning environment. As an instructor, one needs to constantly expose themselves to various sources to stay current with new techniques in the field they work in. Previously, I was employed with a symphony's outreach program. I traveled to four different elementary schools and taught the basic fundamentals of music to grades K4-3rd. I had absolutely no training with working with children (my first undergraduate degree is a BM in Vocal Performance). My former experience consisted of opera and choral conducting with individuals 16 years of age and older. Without the use of various music education blogs, I would have miserably failed. Beth's Notes was just one of the fabulous sites that contained ideas for several lesson plans I used in the classroom.
Unknown

After joining Twitter, I have found several individuals that are currently employed in the music education area. Roel GarzaKelly ParrishLindsay Jervis, and NAfME are just a few accounts that I am now following. Another site that I obtained beneficial information was Pinterest. Several members of the site upload assorted links concerning topics such as elementary music education methods (Orff and Kodály) and numerous blogs. A combination of social media sites will assist me with communicating with individuals in my specialty, as well as being a support group for encouragement and guidance. 


1 comment:

  1. Great post! I'm just letting you know that "unknown" is not an adequate source for a picture! You found that picture somewhere. Although Google Images is also not an adequate source, when you use it to find a picture, click on the picture, and when the black box with the picture pops up, the website where that picture is hosted should be displayed! That website would be your source!

    ReplyDelete